voyent
The first ICEfaces book: "ICEfaces 1.8: Next Generation Enterprise Web Development"  XML
Forum Index -> General Help Go to Page: 1, 2, 3 Next 
Author Message
rainwebs


Joined: 24/Jul/2007 00:00:00
Messages: 237
Offline


Your next step into a better programming future:


An Introduction
Order Details

The book is as much about ICEfusion, a set of model classes and Facelet components built on ICEfaces, as it is about ICEfaces itself. Developing a framework that embodies the lessons of a book can be a very effective (and testable) way to communicate. Many thanks to Rainer for this great contribution to the ICEfaces community.
Ted Goddard, ICEfaces Architect 


"I like this book about #web2 and #icefaces."
Hazem Saleh, IBM Egypt
JSF Book author, founder of GMaps4JSF
 


User Interface Design in ICEfaces 1.8 (excerpt)

ICEcube sources
ICEfusion sources

Blog (Support)
Twitter (Latest news)

Thanks to all for the suggestions and the feedback.

Rainer

-------------------------
I'm collecting ideas from the community to get an idea what would be useful topics in a book about ICEfaces.

Besides all the beginners stuff, like installation, configuration, hello world, and the like I think about framework integration, or substitution of certain JSF parts, like Spring-managed backing beans.

So, what do you think about in your ICEfaces project?

Any ideas for an implementation example that is discussed in the chapters?

ICEfaces book . ICEcube . ICEfusion . ICEfaces Technical Blog Award
khosro


Joined: 01/Feb/2007 00:00:00
Messages: 35
Offline


Hello Rainwebs,
As a beginner programmer i expect the following:
I think, you should have a chapter about ICEfaces and variety of portals(Like Liferay and JBoss Portal).
And also a chapter or section to describe the Ajax Push.
As you said,you should describe about integration between Seam and Spring with ICEfaces and known issues may be happened when working them.
And the important section for me is "How to use (Spring+Seam)+Liferay+ICEfaces?".

Khosro.
michelle2

Joined: 14/Nov/2007 00:00:00
Messages: 449
Offline


khosro wrote:
Hello Rainwebs,
As a beginner programmer i expect the following:
I think, you should have a chapter about ICEfaces and variety of portals(Like Liferay and JBoss Portal).
And also a chapter or section to describe the Ajax Push.
As you said,you should describe about integration between Seam and Spring with ICEfaces and known issues may be happened when working them.
And the important section for me is "How to use (Spring+Seam)+Liferay+ICEfaces?".

Khosro. 


I have over the last few weeks seriously been thinking about putting together an icefaces book, I understand that there are only on average a small number of icefaces users so we are really talking about a vertical market. But books on other smaller projects such as richfaces exist, also I think icefaces is gaining in some popularity in the ajax world.

We as an open source project have quite a few tutorials on our website at www.mooncatventures.com, All of us use icefaces at our jobs and most importantly are contributing members. (ie. we signed contributor agreements)

The book I am thinking off targets icefaces on mobile devices with an emphasis on the iphone. Icefaces has some very good beginners documentation and I think and intro chapter that explains where to find what in the doc and than going into the more advanced topics is the best chance at popularity.

It would discuss the following:
Part i - Developing jsf with icefaces
1) setup and deployment on tomcat and glassfish.
2) Using icefaces components
3) integrating icefaces with spring
4) issues with icefaces on spring webflow 1.0 and 2.0
5) integrating icefaces with spring security
6) writing custom icefaces components

Part II Icefaces and the apple iphone

1) Icefaces components for the iphone
2) customizing icefaces components for the iphone
3) using server Push as a message provider
4) Iphone and spring webflow 2.0 a case study
5) Building icefaces componets with dashcode case study
6) rmi , icefaces and mobile platforms case study

Traditional publishing for such a small market would be expensive, our first approach a series of integrated websites works but we would like to expand. The amazon kindle is growing in popularity, and they have a nice self publishing program where you can gain some profit.

We Mooncatventures , is considering expanding first to the kindle and then maybe exploring other more tranditional self publishing avenues.

I hope this anwers you question and also makes you aware that there are others that believe the time is right for an icefaces book.
[Email]
khosro


Joined: 01/Feb/2007 00:00:00
Messages: 35
Offline


michelle2 wrote:

I hope this anwers you question and also makes you aware that there are others that believe the time is right for an icefaces book.
 



Hello michelle2
Great,It was so useful to know.
I hope you succeed.

Khosro.
emil.sulistya

Joined: 08/Jan/2009 00:00:00
Messages: 1
Offline


As a beginner i would like to see a chapter about integrating Hibernate and icefaces or spring and icefaces.

and how to set up the environment in netbeans
paulvr

Joined: 12/May/2008 00:00:00
Messages: 121
Offline


Hi Rainwebs,

Excellent idea! Would be of great help to the ICEfaces community.
With such a small market, I think it wouldn't be a good idea though to focus on a single development environment, web container, or integration with other tools, or whatever. Of course, you could / should provide some chapters on those dedicated applications, but most of the book should be generic ICEfaces, or you'll loose too many readers.

Would should be in the book in my opinion?
- Install, Setup, Hello world
- Introduction to ICEfaces, as in the excellent tutorials from ICEfaces.
- References to good Java, JSF core, HTML, Javascript and other basic background books. You may provide some simple explanation and summary of those background topics, but no need to repeat existing, excellent books already available.
- Provide a lot of explanation how ICEfaces was built on top of JSF. This is missing on the ICEfaces website and may help a lot in understanding some typical "features" that I find sometimes very hard to understand. The ICEfaces forum is full of such information, so it wouldn't be hard to fill such a chapter, but it might be difficult to provide enough structure.
- Dedicate some chapters to typical ICEfaces strong points, such as Ajax push, the DOM rendering, Partial submit, etc. These topics are only superficially scratched in the ICEfaces documentation.
- Building or extending ICEfaces components.
- Add a very detailed reference guide to the ICEfaces API and components. This is really missing on the ICEfaces site, the information there is very, very incomplete. So, you'll need a lot of insight information from the hardworking ICEfaces people. I hope you have some links there, or it might become very difficult to write such a book at all. Best would be to have a single point of contact there (could be an almost full-time job), but they will profit a lot from your book as well...
- Provide lots of small examples. For me, many, small, simple, generic examples work usually far better than a few large, dedicated or complex ones.

A problem might be that there is still a lot of development going on at ICEfaces, at a conceptual level, new features and changes to existing features. So you should be prepared to rewrite your book immediately after finishing it.

But I also do believe the time is right for such a book and I'm convinced it would give a real big push to the ICEfaces potential. The web community is really craving for rich, interactive web 2 development methods and libraries, like ICEfaces, but I found none of the high potential approaches really accessible in terms of documentation, explanations and examples.

Wishing you a lot of success with your project,
Regards, Paul.
[Email]
olegtikhonov

Joined: 09/Mar/2008 00:00:00
Messages: 16
Offline


Hello, i think it's really good idea.
The some words about Rich Clients Interfaces (Flex 3/ AIR, GWT) and its pros and cons would be appreciated. In that time a lot of companies trying to promote Flex technology, i disappointed with that.
As mentioned in other posts, a good idea is show/explain integration (i prefer) with open source project , for instance, JetSpeed, JForum, JSPWiki etc.

Best regards,
Oleg.
rainwebs


Joined: 24/Jul/2007 00:00:00
Messages: 237
Offline


Many thanks for all your ideas. A book that writes about all topics mentioned here would be to big. So, we have to concentrate ourselves on an introduction to the basics in the first step ;-).

Maybe some blog posts can help to cover other questions then.



ICEfaces book . ICEcube . ICEfusion . ICEfaces Technical Blog Award
michelle2

Joined: 14/Nov/2007 00:00:00
Messages: 449
Offline


rainwebs wrote:
Many thanks for all your ideas. A book that writes about all topics mentioned here would be to big. So, we have to concentrate ourselves on an introduction to the basics in the first step ;-).

Maybe some blog posts can help to cover other questions then.


 


This is a good idea. And it seems a lot of users in this forum have some really good thoughts. Who whould be better to write a book.

Have you thought of a colaboration.

I wouldn't mind expanding on some of the tutorials on our website and coming up with a chapter or two on mobile applications.

I may be able to get permission from legal at my employer to share some of our unique code. maybe even some of the proprietary custom components we developed. For Trees and Datatables.

Also a lot of insight into working with spring webflow.

I am sure others could contribute chapters, this would seem to be the fastest way we could get a book into the wild.

Since a general book could very well help icefaces with marketshare, maybe they would be willing to coloberate too.

Just some thoughts.
[Email]
rainwebs


Joined: 24/Jul/2007 00:00:00
Messages: 237
Offline


Michelle,

sorry, I didn't read your last comment. Thanks for your comment in my "Blogger" Blog.

The book that I currently write (chapter 6/10 is written) will be an ICEfaces beginners book for enterprise developers who already have JSF experience. It is planned to publish it near the end of October 2009.

I'm sorry, but the number of pages is limited. So, a lot of interesting ideas mentioned here will not be part of it. I try to emphasize the possibilities to create desktop-like presentations and the story of the book is indeed to help to write such applications. I selected components that are, from my experience, useful to support this idea. So, it will not describe everything that ICEfaces delivers today. There's no room left for Liferay, Seam, or Spring integration. So, this is for sure something that should be discussed in the blog then. But, the demo source code shows a bit how to integrate Spring, Hibernate, etc. with ICEfaces.

The accompanying demo code is organized in a full-blown application that is based on my ICEfusion project. So, you get a full-blown enterprise stack through AppFuse, on top of it ICEfaces and my demo application. This should help to start a new project soon.

I invest a lot of time to implement Facelets components that deliver more comfort. Facelets is a central part of the implementation. It structures the application's presentation and it is also used to show how to reuse things. The demo will support skinning and has a multi-lingual presentation (English, German).

Where useful corresponding Facelets components are also described in the chapters. Besides the tag interface to use them also important implementation details are described. So, the reader can develop an idea of how the design was done and why. There will also be a separate chapter that describes how to write and plan your own Facelets components to get the complete picture.

I've a lot of fun to write those components. So, I already think about to create a new project that emphazises the idea to offer more and better Facelets components. If I compare the easiness and usage of components from the desktop (Delphi, VisualBasic) there's a lot of work to do to reach something similar. But, I think it would be a good idea to have a better starter kit than the standard ICEfaces components delivered today. Maybe my book work could be a base to start Enterprise ready components. Any ideas for a collaboration and how we could organize this?

Regards Rainer

ICEfaces book . ICEcube . ICEfusion . ICEfaces Technical Blog Award
michelle2

Joined: 14/Nov/2007 00:00:00
Messages: 449
Offline


rainwebs wrote:
Michelle,

sorry, I didn't read your last comment. Thanks for your comment in my "Blogger" Blog.

The book that I currently write (chapter 6/10 is written) will be an ICEfaces beginners book for enterprise developers who already have JSF experience. It is planned to publish it near the end of October 2009.

I'm sorry, but the number of pages is limited. So, a lot of interesting ideas mentioned here will not be part of it. I try to emphasize the possibilities to create desktop-like presentations and the story of the book is indeed to help to write such applications. I selected components that are, from my experience, useful to support this idea. So, it will not describe everything that ICEfaces delivers today. There's no room left for Liferay, Seam, or Spring integration. So, this is for sure something that should be discussed in the blog then. But, the demo source code shows a bit how to integrate Spring, Hibernate, etc. with ICEfaces.

The accompanying demo code is organized in a full-blown application that is based on my ICEfusion project. So, you get a full-blown enterprise stack through AppFuse, on top of it ICEfaces and my demo application. This should help to start a new project soon.

I invest a lot of time to implement Facelets components that deliver more comfort. Facelets is a central part of the implementation. It structures the application's presentation and it is also used to show how to reuse things. The demo will support skinning and has a multi-lingual presentation (English, German).

Where useful corresponding Facelets components are also described in the chapters. Besides the tag interface to use them also important implementation details are described. So, the reader can develop an idea of how the design was done and why. There will also be a separate chapter that describes how to write and plan your own Facelets components to get the complete picture.

I've a lot of fun to write those components. So, I already think about to create a new project that emphazises the idea to offer more and better Facelets components. If I compare the easiness and usage of components from the desktop (Delphi, VisualBasic) there's a lot of work to do to reach something similar. But, I think it would be a good idea to have a better starter kit than the standard ICEfaces components delivered today. Maybe my book work could be a base to start Enterprise ready components. Any ideas for a collaboration and how we could organize this?

Regards Rainer 

aybe in the future we could do something, right now I'm concentrating on getting my very first (of possible 4 this year) iphone navtive app to the appstore, I'm looking at july. It will use icefaces as a backend server, Its an imaging application.

Actually me and my child went to the art institute here in Michingan, they had one of those audio tours of the gallery. the ui for the tour guide device looked like a universal remote, you had to click the number of the artwork to listen to the tour. My daughter is an art major, we got together and said we could do something better than that. The device looked like it was programmed after the fact by flash memory, no usb but it looked like it had a proprietary interface. My guess is the setup costs some bucks.

My idea is a simple device you could use on an ipod touch, Artworks could be stored on a jetty server use upnp and bonjour and show a simple ui that presents an object tree of the museum

I'm sending you pm , because maybe you can give me your thoughts on an icefaces issue I've been struggling with.
[Email]
rainwebs


Joined: 24/Jul/2007 00:00:00
Messages: 237
Offline


Packt Publishing is in preparation to put the existing chapters into their RAW program. So, you'll have access to the information months before the official publishing.

ICEfaces book . ICEcube . ICEfusion . ICEfaces Technical Blog Award
lightguard


Joined: 11/May/2007 00:00:00
Messages: 165
Offline


May be a little late, but I'd love to see a better reference with the tags, gotchas, tips and tricks, styling, and manual Javascript. These things are definitely missing from the main ICEfaces site. On the styling note if you look at the Richfaces docs they have screen shots of each component and show you what CSS classes affect what section of the component. That level of information would be VERY helpful for designers and developers seeking do create they're own styles.

Javadoc / tlddoc for ICEfaces are only slightly helpful, I find myself having to dig into the code more often then not to really see how things really work. More than anything I guess this would be a plea to get better docs for ICEfaces.
rainwebs


Joined: 24/Jul/2007 00:00:00
Messages: 237
Offline


You're right. Although, there is a lot of reference documentation it is in a lot of case insufficient.

The book will not help here, sorry. It is only an introduction and limited in the number of pages.

Some more details can be found here:

http://blog.rainer.eschen.name/icefaces/.

ICEfaces book . ICEcube . ICEfusion . ICEfaces Technical Blog Award
nlgonzalez

Joined: 15/Jul/2008 00:00:00
Messages: 1
Offline


would be interesting that you mention in your book how to get the best performance.
 
Forum Index -> General Help Go to Page: 1, 2, 3 Next 
Go to:   
Powered by JForum 2.1.7ice © JForum Team