Having set our project up to use push groups it works nicely in Safari, Chrome and Firefox but on IE it causes the browser window to lockup. On IE7 it means the only way out is to kill the entire browser and reopen it, on 8+ you can continue by refreshing the page but it happens quite frequently so doesn't make for a good user experience.
Anyway after some investigation I found that if I accessed the site via a non secured port then the same problems on IE went away so it basically seems that the push functionality in icefaces 3.3.0 doesn't work over SSL. The only way I can get it to work is if I offload the SSL to apache and proxy through that. Having looked around I've found the following thread...
We've not seen any issues using push with SSL on IE 7+ with ICEfaces EE 1.8.2.GA or EE 3.3. Our testing was completed using Tomcat, though I wouldn't expect that to matter too much as this would appear to be an IE browser issue primarily.
Is it possible that there are other none-default browser settings being used that might be a contributing factor?
VP Product Development
ICEsoft Technologies, Inc.
No non-default browser settings were used and several different installations of IE7 were tried including the one available from modern.ie in the form of the downloadable VMWare instance.
Glassfish is the stock 188.8.131.52 release as well and it's been tried with a number of certificates so we've been pretty thorough with the testing on our side.
In the end we've had to ensure that push groups aren't used anywhere in the site and that the lazy push parameter has been set to true. Shame really as it's taken quite a lot of the usefulness out of using icefaces for us.
It would be interesting to know what your results are if you tested the same thing on glassfish.