Cloud Push is an extended push notification mechanism that provides asynchronous notifications to users when they are offline from the originating ICEfaces web-application.
Once a user registers for Cloud Push notifications in the web-application they can receive notifications in one of the supported formats when the web-application detects that they are no longer on-line in the web-application itself. This is determined to be the case anytime the web-application does not have an active push connection to the user's browser, either due to the user closing the browser, navigating away from the web-application, or even navigating to a new page within the web-application that does not have push enabled.
When a user receives a Cloud Push notification message, they can simple click on the notification itself, or an embedded URL within the message to automatically open their browser to the originating web-application page, where the updated status will be displayed for them to review via normal ICEfaces web-application rendering.
Cloud Push uses a notification provider architecture to support a variety of notification mechanisms. In order to support a particular notification type, its corresponding provider must be configured in the web-application.
The following providers are supported by the ICEfaces ICEpush library:
- Email Notification Provider - Supports notifications via email messages.
ICEfaces EE extends the standard ICEfaces Email provider with the additional providers:
- Native Mobile Platform Notification Providers - Supports notifications via Android, iOS, and Windows Phone native device notifications.
- Apple APNS - Sends native iOS notifications via the Apple Push Notification Service.
- Google GCM - Sends native Android notifications via Google Cloud Messaging (GCM).
- Microsoft WNS - Sends native Windows notifications via Windows Push Notification Services.
- The native notification providers work in conjunction with the BridgeIt app. on mobile devices to deliver cloud-based notifications.
- SMS Notification Providers - Supports notifications via SMS text messages.