January 22nd, 2010
ICEfaces v2.0 Alpha 2 is an early developer milestone for the next-generation of ICEfaces, designed for JSF 2.0.
- New "Window" Scope. This custom scope is designed to fill in a gap in the existing scopes available for JSF 2.0,
as it exists for the life of a browser window or tab including surviving reloads and refreshes. There is more information
in the Compatibility under [Scopes].
- New Push Architecture. The ICEfaces Ajax Push feature has been completely re-implemented using a all-new architecture for
improved performance and robustness.
- ICEfaces 1.8.2 Component Suite Support. This release provides virtually complete support for an ICEfaces 2.0-compatible version
of the ICEfaces 1.8.2 Component Suite. See the Known Issues and [Compatibility] sections for more information.
- New Documentation. Documentation for ICEfaces 2.0 is now exclusively available online in this ICEfaces Wiki.
- Maven2 Support. The download bundles include Maven2 .pom files for the ICEfaces libraries and associated ant configuration
files to support readily importing the ICEfaces 2.0 Alpha2 libraries into a local Maven2 repository.
- JSF2 RI. The included JSF 2 RI "Mojarra" version has been updated to v 2.0.2.
- General Bug Fixes. Lots of bugs squashed since Alpha 1.
For a complete list of all changes in this release, see the related JIRA Change Log.
The following section describes the most commonly encountered known issues with this release:
- JSPs are not supported by ICEfaces 2.0, use Facelets instead.
- Due to a bug in the Sun Mojarra JSF 2 runtime library, navigation between ICEfaces and none-ICEfaces pages is not working in this release. It is anticipated that
the upcoming Mojarra JSF v2.0.3 release will correct this issue. See ICE-5157 for details.
- In some cases an NullPointerException may be logged against the org.icefaces.application.WindowScopeManager.
This runtime error can be safely ignored.
- The ice:inputFile component in the ICEfaces 1.8.2 Component Suite is not functional in this release.
- The following ICEfaces 1.8.2 Component Suite components are deprecated for ICEfaces 2.0 and are not functional.
JSF 2.0 provides suitable replacements for these that should be used instead.
- ice:outputDeclaration (use Facelets standard approach instead)
- ice:outputBody (use h:body instead)
- ice:outputHead (use h:head instead)
- ice:outputHtml (use <HTML> tag instead)
- The "ice:form" component must be used (in place of "h:form") when using the "ice" components via the ICEfaces 1.8 Compatibility components. See ICE-5090 for details.
- Due to a bug in the Sun Mojarra JSF 2 runtime library, component binding does not work when used within a View scope with the partial submit feature provided by the ICEfaces 1.8 compatibility library. See ICE-5226 for details.
- Applications using the PushRender (or SessionRenderer in the compatibility library) may experience sporadic premature time-outs of related push groups, causing the push-updates to stop functioning. A page reload will correct the problem. See ICE-227 for details.
- Glassfish 3
- When interacting with an ICEfaces 2 application on Glassfish 3, the warning below may be logged, with no impact on the application functionality:
- See JIRA-5209 for details.
- Tomcat 6.0
- Including icepush.jar causes exception when redeploying application on Tomcat6.0 on WinXP. See ICE-5222 for a configuration work-around.
Open source community support is available at http://www.icefaces.org.
All questions, comments, or general discussions specific to ICEfaces 2.0 Alpha should be made in the ICEfaces Development Build Feedback forum.